Klezmer is a musical tradition of the Ashkenazic Jews of Eastern Europe.
It is, at its heart, dance music, wedding music, both wild and tender. Played by the Klezmorim as they tramped the roads of eastern Europe it is a music that gets to your heart by way of your feet. Often described as bitter-sweet, it came out of poverty and oppression. Both dances and song contain joy, exhilaration and wit alongside the sadness, anger and defiance. and largely consists of dance tunes and instrumental display pieces for weddings and other celebrations.
And we've got a whole evening of it!
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
- September 2017
- October 1: The Battle for the Ballot plus Steve Suffet ~ Telling the story of how everybody in the UK came to have a vote.
- October 8: James Brothers ~ Antipodean-steeped folk virtuosity.
- October 15: Pete Coe ~ A one man folk industry!
- October 22: Maggie Holland ~ A rare chance to see this legendary songwriter.
- October 29: Ken Wilson & Jim Mcfarland ~ A fine evening of real folk singing.