Radical Yiddish politics in the songs of the 1880s with Vivi Lachs
The Champion of Victorian Jewish socialism published scores of pithy, moving and strident songs and poems about London. Morris Winchevsky lived in the East End amongst the immigrant community and his lyrics fought the battles of sweatshops, child poverty and community disagreement. Vivi Lachs will tell tales and sing songs of Rabbis and tailors, helplessness and hope, Aldgate, Cheapside and Leicester Square. Expect to be entertained while discovering a vibrant and engaging history.
Vivi Lachs is the author of Whitechapel Noise. Her last talk with song on the Cockney-Yiddish music hall filled the room. She sings with the band Klezmer Klub and is currently translating Yiddish stories about London from the thirties and forties – yet another treasure trove! Whitechapel Noise will be available at a 20% discount.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
On the majority of club nights you will be able to pay on the door although we do put advance tickets on sale. On occasion demand will be very high and the evening may sell out in advance or there will be limited availabilty on the door. Please check the website regularly for the current position on specific evenings. For online tickets for this evening go to https://www.wegottickets.com/event/481722
- February 2020
- March 1: Tim Edey ~ A magical evening of music including folk, jazz, blues, celtic and world music.
- March 8: Union Jill ~ Historical themes and contemporary issues, personal experiences and protest songs.
- March 15: Wizz Jones ~ A guitar legend.
- March 22: Tom McConville ~ One of the leading fiddle players of our time - a world class act!
- March 29: Jackie Oates and John Spiers ~ An evening of enthralling music and humorous banter.
- April 5: Music Hall - it's evolution, growth and decline with John Cain ~ The story of the Music Hall
- Closed ~ Easter
- April 19: Moirai - Framed: The Alice Wheeldon Story ~ A 100 year old tale of fake news, family values and activism.
- April 26: Linda Allen & Kristin Allen-Zito ~ Powerful songs of hope and history, spirituality and death, love and whimsy.
- May 2020
- June 7: Moor Music ~ Hardcore trad from the heart of Dartmoor.
- June 14: The Brothers Gillespie ~ Lyrical intensity and the sounds of soaring sibling harmony.
- June 21: Spring Singaround ~ Bring a song or a tune or maybe even a poem or a story to share.
- June 28: Street Party ~ Folk music, beer and ice cream!