Pat Lamanna & Steve Suffet present Pete & Woody - An Unlikely Friendship
This year marks the centenary of the birth of folk icon Pete Seeger. Sadly Pete left us in 2014 at the age of 94 but to mark his hundredth birthday we have a special presentation by two people who knew him well.
Steve and Pat are respected New York based folk singers in their own right and they both knew Pete as a friend from the NYC scene. Tonight they will tell the story of the unlikely friendship between the Harvard drop-out from the family of folk song collectors and classical music composers who threw in his lot with the banjo and the Oaklahoma troubadour and political militant.
The ripples from this friendship continue to influence folk and other music to this day.
Pat Lamanna has been writing and performing songs all her adult life. Her songs have been praised highly by Pete Seeger, Peter Yarrow, and others. They have a strong folk influence, and cover issues such as peace, religion and the environment.
Steve Suffet is a regular visitor to the club and is a Greenwich Village folk singer of the old school.
This evenings performance is our contribution to the 2019 We Shall Overcome Campaign raising food, cash, clothing, bedding, furniture and electrical goods for those struggling at the sharp end of Tory Austerity.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to https://www.wegottickets.com/event/481504
- September 2019
- October 6: Pat Lamanna & Steve Suffet present Pete & Woody - An Unlikely Friendship ~ Marking Pete Seeger's hundredth birthday with people who knew him.
- October 13: The Askew Sisters ~ Two of the foremost performers and interpreters of English folk music.
- October 20: Julie Felix ~ Legendary folk singer with a career stretching back to 1964.
- October 27: Andy Irvine ~ Never tire of the road.
- November 3: Hunter Muskett ~ Layers of acoustic guitars, a delicate beat and some lush vocal harmonising...
- November 10: Riley Baugus ~ Banjos, Ballads, Stories and Songs of the Southern Appalachians.
- November 17: Dana & Susan Robinson ~ Vivid songwriting and storytelling, with fiddle tunes and banjo grooves...
- November 24: Tommy Sands ~ Legendary singer, songwriter and social activist.
- December 1: Radical Yiddish politics in the songs of the 1880s with Vivi Lachs ~ An unforgettable multimedia presentation.
- December 8: Norfolk Broads ~ From dark tales of murder and seduction, to ballads of love and hope...
- December 15: Christmas Singaround ~ Bring a song, a tune or a story to share.