Pat Lamanna & Steve Suffet present Pete & Woody - An Unlikely Friendship
This year marks the centenary of the birth of folk icon Pete Seeger. Sadly Pete left us in 2014 at the age of 94 but to mark his hundredth birthday we have a special presentation by two people who knew him well.
Steve and Pat are respected New York based folk singers in their own right and they both knew Pete as a friend from the NYC scene. Tonight they will tell the story of the unlikely friendship between the Harvard drop-out from the family of folk song collectors and classical music composers who threw in his lot with the banjo and the Oaklahoma troubadour and political militant.
The ripples from this friendship continue to influence folk and other music to this day.
Pat Lamanna has been writing and performing songs all her adult life. Her songs have been praised highly by Pete Seeger, Peter Yarrow, and others. They have a strong folk influence, and cover issues such as peace, religion and the environment.
Steve Suffet is a regular visitor to the club and is a Greenwich Village folk singer of the old school.
This evenings performance is our contribution to the 2019 We Shall Overcome Campaign raising food, cash, clothing, bedding, furniture and electrical goods for those struggling at the sharp end of Tory Austerity.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
On the majority of club nights you will be able to pay on the door although we do put advance tickets on sale. On occasion demand will be very high and the evening may sell out in advance or there will be limited availabilty on the door. Please check the website regularly for the current position on specific evenings. For online tickets for this evening go to https://www.wegottickets.com/event/481504
- February 2020
- March 1: Tim Edey ~ A magical evening of music including folk, jazz, blues, celtic and world music.
- March 8: Union Jill ~ Historical themes and contemporary issues, personal experiences and protest songs.
- March 15: Wizz Jones ~ A guitar legend.
- March 22: Tom McConville ~ One of the leading fiddle players of our time - a world class act!
- March 29: Jackie Oates and John Spiers ~ An evening of enthralling music and humorous banter.
- April 5: Music Hall - it's evolution, growth and decline with John Cain ~ The story of the Music Hall
- Closed ~ Easter
- April 19: Moirai - Framed: The Alice Wheeldon Story ~ A 100 year old tale of fake news, family values and activism.
- April 26: Linda Allen & Kristin Allen-Zito ~ Powerful songs of hope and history, spirituality and death, love and whimsy.
- May 2020
- June 7: Moor Music ~ Hardcore trad from the heart of Dartmoor.
- June 14: The Brothers Gillespie ~ Lyrical intensity and the sounds of soaring sibling harmony.
- June 21: Spring Singaround ~ Bring a song or a tune or maybe even a poem or a story to share.
- June 28: Street Party ~ Folk music, beer and ice cream!