Whitechapel Noise - Politics, sex and religion in the Cockney-Yiddish music hall
This talk illustrated with vibrant, edgy and moving Cockney-Yiddish music-hall songs will tell the story of London's Yiddish music halls of the turn of the Twentieth Century.
Using sources from the Yiddish press of the day a picture will be built up of the structure and ambience of the halls. And through analysing the Yiddish lyrics in translation a picture of a bewildering and feisty immigrant life will emerge.
Expect to laugh, cry, singalong and go blimey that's interesting.
This is a very special presentation from Vivi Lachs who is well know to club regulars from her apperarnces in Klezmer Klub. Vivi is a social and cultural historian, Yiddishist, and associate research fellow at Birkbeck, University of London. She is the author of Making Multimedia in the Classroom and has written articles on education and Jewish history. She performs and composes music to London Yiddish lyrics. Her new book "Whitechapel Noise: Jewish Immigrant Life in Yiddish Song and Verse, London 1884–1914" was publiched by Wayne State University earlier this year.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
- September 2018
- October 7: Delta Ladies ~ Hillbilly Trance...
- October 14: Dave Peabody & Regina Mudrich ~ An evening of blues and vaudeville songs.
- October 21: Rob Murch and Michelle Holding ~ A rare chance to hear a master banjo player and his star pupil.
- October 28: Green Diesel ~ Green Diesel are a proper folk-rock band of the old school.
- November 4: Intarsia ~ Sway, sing or just soak in the sounds...
- November 11: Armistice Centenary Special - Bob Fox ~ An evening with the Warhorse Songman.
- November 18: Whitechapel Noise - Politics, sex and religion in the Cockney-Yiddish music hall ~ Expect to laugh, cry, singalong and go blimey that's interesting...
- November 25: Trio Dhoore ~ Steamy folk music guaranteed by 3 brothers.
- December 2018