Whitechapel Noise - Politics, sex and religion in the Cockney-Yiddish music hall
This talk illustrated with vibrant, edgy and moving Cockney-Yiddish music-hall songs will tell the story of London's Yiddish music halls of the turn of the Twentieth Century.
Using sources from the Yiddish press of the day a picture will be built up of the structure and ambience of the halls. And through analysing the Yiddish lyrics in translation a picture of a bewildering and feisty immigrant life will emerge.
Expect to laugh, cry, singalong and go blimey that's interesting.
This is a very special presentation from Vivi Lachs who is well know to club regulars from her apperarnces in Klezmer Klub. Vivi is a social and cultural historian, Yiddishist, and associate research fellow at Birkbeck, University of London. She is the author of Making Multimedia in the Classroom and has written articles on education and Jewish history. She performs and composes music to London Yiddish lyrics. Her new book "Whitechapel Noise: Jewish Immigrant Life in Yiddish Song and Verse, London 1884–1914" was publiched by Wayne State University earlier this year.
Admission £8 (£6 unwaged)
For this evening a limited number of advance tickets will be on sale via we got tickets. Be assured that you will still be able to pay on the night but please remember to get here early. For online tickets go to http://www.wegottickets.com/event/451812
- January 2019
- February 3: Damien Barber & Mike Wilson ~ Two of the finest exponents of Traditional Song in the United Kingdom.
- February 10: Delta Ladies ~ Hillbilly Trance...
- February 17: Laura Smyth & Ted Kemp ~ Strong vocals, tight harmonies and unfussy arrangements.
- February 24: Luke Daniels and Nancy Kerr ~ A stunning mix of contemporary folk music and inspired instrumental virtuosity.
- March 3: Erin Harpe ~ A fabulous evening of shit-kicking R&B.
- March 10: Pete Atkin ~ Some of the best songs ever written.
- March 17: Joe Solo ~ Thought-provoking, comical and punch-the-air political.
- March 24: Arrowsmith:Robb ~ An international evening of great song and tunes.
- March 31: Lisa Knapp ~ Pushing boundaries with her radiant interpretation of traditional folk music.
- April 2019
- Closed ~ Bank Holiday
- May 12: The Frank Burkitt Band ~ Swinging good times all the way from New Zealand.